Wednesday, September 30, 2009
Students who spent more time in silent reading at school increased their independent reading levels, scored higher on comprehension tests, had significantly higher grade point averages, and developed more sophisticated writing styles than peers who did not engage in silent reading.
In the after reading part of Guided Reading, students demonstrate understanding of mini-lesson taught. These can be scored with a simple rubric similar to:
Scoring Rubric (modified from Robert Marzano)
(Advanced) 4 - In addition to 3.0 performance, in-depth inferences and applications that go beyond what was taught (read).
(Proficient) 3 - No major errors or omissions regarding any of the information (simple or complex) that was explicitly taught.
(Basic) 2 - No major errors or omissions regarding the simpler details and processes but major errors or omissions regarding the more complex ideas and processes.
(Below Basic) 1 - With help, a partial understanding of some of the simpler details and processes and some of the more complex ideas and processes.
0 - Even with help, no understanding or skill demonstrated
Response to Intervention (RtI) - They key word is INTERVENTION. We should be meeting the needs of most of our students (80%) through differentiated classroom instruction. What about the other 20% -- How are you intervening and monitoring the growth of the top two tiers in your classroom?
- Tiers of Instruction
- Progress Monitoring
- Decision Making Rules
- Fidelity Indicators (adherence, exposure, quality of delivery, participant responsiveness, program differentiation)
FREE Websites to assist with RtI:
The Florida Center for Reading Research is one tool you'll definitely want to check out. http://www.fcrr.org/SCASearch/
1. Select a grade range from the options below (e.g., 2-3).
2. Select Phonemic Awareness, Phonics, Fluency, Vocabulary, or Comprehension, and then check the subcomponents you wish to search.
3. Click on Show Results to see a list of matches for your search criteria. (Not every possible combination will produce a match.)
4. Search results may be sorted by clicking on the column headings.
5. Click on Activity Name to view or print an activity or routine in PDF format.
5. The “New Search” button will clear your previous search criteria.
Reading Comprehension (from The Savvy Teacher's Guide: Reading Interventions That Work)
Free computation worksheet maker: http://www.superkids.com/aweb/tools/math/
Strategies to Improve Mathematical Fluency:
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
There will NOT be embedded items in Communication Arts or Math this year. All questions on the test will be factored in the students' scores.
Also, there will ONLY be FOUR constructed response questions on each 3rd - 6th grade Communication Arts and Math tests. 3rd Grade CA will also have a writing prompt and 4th grade Math will have a performance event.
For more details, check out page two of October's edition of the TOSA Tribune.
Tuesday, September 22, 2009
Thursday, September 17, 2009
Monday, September 14, 2009
Wednesday, September 9, 2009
I've hyperlinked a few items from it below. It's DEFINITELY worth your time.
- Bio Cube:
- Trading Cards:
- Circle Plot:
- Create Comic Strip:
- Compare/Contrast Map: